Treaty National (TN Status)

Canadian and Mexican Professionals


TN status is available to Canadians and Mexicans employed in certain professions (a list is provided below).  TN status can be obtained in one year increments and can be renewed.  TN holders may be accompanied by their spouse and minor children, who may attend school but cannot work.

Who is eligible:

Canadian and Mexican nationals may be eligible for TN status if they are employed in certain professions.  Qualifying professionals include:




computer systems analyst,

disaster relief claims adjuster,




graphic designer,

hotel manager,

industrial designers,

interior designer,

land surveyor,

landscape architect,



management consultant,


medical professionals:

  • dentists,
  • dietitians,
  • nutritionists,
  • occupational therapists,
  • pharmacists,
  • physicians,
  • physical therapists,
  • psychologist,
  • recreational therapists, and
  • Registered Nurses


range manager,

research assist,

scientific technician,

social worker



technical publications writer,

urban planner,


  • agriculturists,
  • animal breeder,
  • animal scientist,
  • agriculturist,
  • astronomer,
  • biochemist,
  • biologist,
  • chemist,
  • diary Scientist,
  • entomologist,
  • epidemiologist,
  • geneticist,
  • geochemist,
  • geologist,
  • geophysicist,
  • horticuluturist,
  • meteorologist,
  • pharmacologist,
  • plant paleontologist,
  • physicist,
  • plan breeder,
  • poultry,
  • soil scientist, and
  • zoologist

vocational counselor


To qualify for the TN status, an individual must demonstrate that their stay in the United States is temporary, they have the qualifications for the profession, the position requires an appropriate professional, and that they will work in a prearranged full-time or part-time position. Self-employment is not permitted.

Duration of Status:

The TN status is available for renewable, one-year increments.

Family and Work Authorization:

TN status holders are authorized to work and to bring their spouse and minor, unmarried children to the United States.  The spouse and minor children will be given TD status and will not be authorized to work in the United States.  The spouse and minor children are eligible to attend school.

More Information:

For more information, please visit the USCIS website.  If you think you may be eligible for TN status, please contact Gafner Law Firm to learn more.